Monday, August 27, 2012

Butterfly and Future Moth

In case you hadn't noticed, I love butterflies.  I love watching them flutter around the butterfly bush or flitting around in the woods behind the house.  I really ought to take the camera out and try to "capture" some of them.  Right now I'm going to share a Creative Elements butterfly.


I used the Dynamic Duos colors for this card.


I love Wisteria Wonder and Concord Crush together!

The layout is from the Sketch Challenge at SCS last Wednesday.  Here's the sketch...


Isn't this a fantastic CAS sketch?  And for those of you who are looking for a sketch to follow, you can usually print these sketches off so you can measure exactly for your card.  That was very helpful to me when I started doing sketches.  It always amazes me how people can come up with these!

I used the flourish from the Creative Elements set and stamped it twice in Wisteria, using the Stamp-a-majig for placement of the second one.  Then I stamped the butterfly in Concord Crush and cut it out.  It's adhered in the middle so his wings come up a bit.  There's a rhinestone on the body but I couldn't get a good sparkle for the picture. Then I colored the dots in the flourish with a marker to spice it up a bit.

The sentiment took longer than the rest.  That's mainly because I couldn't make up my mind what to use.  After stamping I trimmed it and fed it into the sides of the Decorative Label punch.

Now for the future moth.  If you're a bit squeamish about bugs, you might want to stop right here.  But if you enjoy the curiosities of nature, read on.

This is what Pop and Luke brought home from the park last Friday.


We looked it up on the computer and it's a Hickory Horned Devil.


He was about 5" long and rather scary looking.  Even Pop wouldn't handle him.

When he arrived he was a bright green and in the course of the afternoon, he turned this turquoise color. We learned that meant he was mature and ready to burrow into the ground.  Pop let him go in the woods behind the house.  Hopefully he burrowed down and will emerge as a Royal Moth.  Wouldn't it be something to see him/her when he comes out?  I added a link above in case you're not totally grossed out and would like to read more.

God certainly created some amazing creatures!

I'm really glad you stopped by.  I hope you are too!

Enjoy!


17 comments:

Carol Cel said...

Your card is beautiful - and so is the caterpillar - thanks for the link for more info

Lisa said...

Wonderful card Bonnie, I just love that sentiment! My grandma loved butterflies and whenever I see one I feel like I am getting a special hello from her :)

Wow, that is a neat little fella! I've never seen one that color before, very interesting!

Loll said...

Bonnie, love your card. It's so clean and fresh with just the two tones of purple. Love the stamp you used for the background - perfect to show off that gorgeous butterfly. I love the way you've framed the sentiment too ... so ingenious.

Now ... on to the Hickory Horned Devil. First of all ... SCARY! Amazing color, though, I have never seen anything like this before. I'm with your Pop ... wouldn't touch it. But, it's cool!

LeAnne said...

Holy guacamole! That is some caterpillar! Scary-looking is right! Anyway, your card is lovely! This is one of my favorite sets and I have never used it simply like you have. Beautiful!

jimlynn said...

That is one LONG worm!!! He's a beautiful color though - and I bet he makes a pretty moth! Pretty creepy looking though! I wouldn't have handled him either! LOL!

Love this beautiful card Bonnie. The butterfly is gorgeous on here. So pretty.

Lynn

Darnell said...

Cool card, Bonnie! Love your patterned butterfly among the flourishes!!

And thanks for sharing about the future moth that Luke brought home. (LOL that Pop wouldn't handle it!) It was great reading about them and seeing that sometimes they are underground through TWO winters! I don't think we have Royal Moths out here, sad to say.

Lesley said...

Beautiful card Bonnie, as you know, I love butterflies too! What an amazing creature...I have never seen anything like it!

Tracey McNeely said...

Bonnie that butterfly and sentiment are gorgeous!

Aileen said...

Hi Bonnie, I love the background you've made for your butterfly and he's cut out perfectly. Mmmm don't think I would have touched him either! x

Victoria said...

Hmmm thanks for sharing the photos! Isn't it amazing? - though yes, slightly gross! The card is a wonderful balance of purple. I love the stamps you've used and the sentiment is just lovely.

denmo said...

Gorgeous card!

Interesting bug! lol, fab end result when he/she finally re-emerges...TFS..HUGS..DENISE X

Carol Cel said...

Hi Bonnie,thanks for following my blog - Now, I have expectations to live up to! :)

Cynthia said...

OOoooo, aren't those hickory horned devils so awesomely beautiful??!!! We've had a few in the yard here and they're just amazing! And your card is too--love the layers under the sentiment. The butterfly is gorgeous! =D

Mikki said...

Bonnie, beautiful card and love how the butterfly is placed in the center. Also, love the white space.

Benzi said...

Bonnie, your card is beautiful...more than I can say for the Hickory Horned Devil..but, I'm sure it will emerge as something beautiful. I agree, that is an amazing creature.

Kim S said...

I've called all of my boys over to the computer to see that Hickory Horned Devil - they are glad that we don't see anything that big where we are!! But one son actually said "I like her card, maybe you could make more like that"!!?? Definitely not a compliment to me - but they like you! And I do too! So glad to see you at Dynamic Duos!

Colleen Dietrich said...

Very interesting looking caterpillar. Never saw one like that and he *is* scary looking! Wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole. LOL

Now, your butterfly card, ah, that is something I could easily touch and love!