Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Best of Butterflies One Layer

I was fortunate enough to be able to get together with some stamping friends over the weekend.  The inspiration was flying! What fun!

I was puzzling over the One Layer Wednesday challenge that's hosted by Heather this week. Last week was the first time in a very long time that I participated in this challenge.  It's a challenge to find this challenge.  Am I the only one who thinks this?  Unfortunately my computer time is pretty much hit and run and if I don't find it first try, I may not remember what I was looking for when I get back! 

This week Heather said One-One-One.  Use one image stamp, one ink colour, and one sentiment stamp.

That was hard!  


My butterfly was too low.  But I was not to be deterred.

I stamped the sentiment and punched the top corner to try to get the proportion better.

I colored some rhinestones with a brown Copic Marker.  

And dropped the marker on my white capris.  Oh, no!  

But I was on a roll and not going to stop for a spot or 3!

Then to add just a little bit more interest, I paper pierced 3 corners.

After all that I learned that alcohol works well to get Copic marker out of the pants. 

Yay!

All supplies are Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted

Card Recipe
Stamps:  Best of Butterflies
Ink:  Baked Brown Sugar
Paper:  Watercolor (?)
Other:  Scallop Trim Corner Punch, Basic Rhinestones, Essentials Paper Piercing Pack, Paper Piercing Tool

And an update on the apron that I showed in this post.  I washed the apron just to see if the ink would hold.  I'm happy to report that, although it faded a little, the flowers are still there. I heat set it with a hot, dry iron after the ink dried and before I washed it.  I think that's an essential step.

Two thumbs up in that load of wash.  White capris and colored apron!

I'm so glad you could stop by today.

Enjoy!

16 comments:

Benzi said...

What a beautiful butterfly and card. I like that you punched that corner..great idea.
Thanks for the tip about using alcohol on the capris. That may come in very handy for me and others. Glad your apron flowers held up..if a bit of a fade.

Sue - said...

That is my favourite butterfly stamp. I stupidly sold the original set it was in, then wished I hadn't so was really pleased when it came back in the Best of set. And like you I find OLW difficult to find as well!

jimlynn said...

A one layer beauty!!!! I think it's just perfect all the way around! So sorry you had problems with it but it turned out gorgeous!
Lynn

Anonymous said...

Oh,how beautiful Bonnie-that is a stunning butterfly-and a fabulous one layer card(tee hee!! i thought it was me when i struggled to find it-no it's not an easy task is it!)
Nessa xxx

Paper Creations by Shirley said...

I think your one one one card is beautiful and indeed it would be a challenge. It's very elegant as well. Cheers, Shirleyx

Cynthia said...

Yep, thanks for the alcohol tip! And yes, I too have trouble finding the OLW challenge. I follow Susan Raihala's blog and if she doesn't mention it (and link to it) I usually forget! :-o

Love your take on the OLW though--the butterfly is beautiful! And the sentiment is perfect!

Cathy said...

Beautiful butterfly Bonnie, your apron looks great with the stamped image too, great idea :) Cathy x

Loll said...

Your butterfly is gorgeous Bonnie. Great idea to balance it out with the sentiment placement and the pierced corners - such a great detail to do the three!

Good to know about how to get Copics out of clothes. Thankfully we don't have to worry about that with SU! markers ... I've dropped a few of those! :)

Loll xx

Darnell said...

Oh, no you dinnit! You were a lucky girl with that washload, Bon Bon!! Your card may have been hard to find, or hard in other ways, but it sure is easy on the eyes! WOWZA, I adore this!! (And I agree with you about OLW. I get side-tracked when I go looking for the latest one, too!)

Heather T said...

I am impressed with the way you balanced your layout when you were not happy with the butterfly placement. The delicate leaves and the punch co-ordinate beautifully.
Thanks for mentioning your difficulty in finding the OLW challenge. I will mention it to the other hosts to see if we can help out with that a bit.

Susan said...

Oh, I hate it when I drop something inky on my clothes - and it always happens the day I'm wearing light-coloured or favourite clothes, never when I wear an old pair of jeans!

A lovely one layer card! I used to try and do all the one layer challenges when they were on Susan Rahaila's blog but stopped when I realized I'm neither very good at nor a big fan of one layer cards - it took time to figure out my style. But how I admire people who can make lovely one layer cards. You did a great job of giving more interest to yours with the piercing and the punched corner.

Doris said...

Your card is beautiful, Bonnie! That butterfly looks perfect where it is, so you balanced it well. The beach house we rented has worked out great--enjoying the beach. We search for Ghost crabs at night with the grandchildren--what fun!

Marybeth said...

Its perfect! How fun! Beautiful card Bonnie. I was stamping with the kids and dropped ink on my new lace tank top and the ink is there for good.

Unknown said...

This is so pretty Bonnie! I love the One-One-One effect here! So glad the ink came out of your pants! :)
Lizy xx

Ellen Taylor said...

Beautiful butterfly and I love the corner!! A fabulous cas card! Thanks for the tip, I once got red Copic on a patterned blouse I was wearing and just colored more red into the pattern.

Greta said...

Glad to hear the apron flowers held up. So I'm not the only one to get ink on white pants--good to know alcohol ink came out with alcohol. I used bleach on a q-tip for mine, but if I remember it was dye ink. This is a beautiful one layer card, Bonnie!