Saturday, February 4, 2017

Doing the Bubble Wrap Smoosh


We're down to the final days of Darnell's last NBUS Challenge to celebrate her 
5 years of blogging (birthaversary), her more than 1000 followers and
1000+ posts.  What a lot to celebrate! Congratulations, my friend!
Her last challenge, like the 2 previous ones, requires something from our
NBUS (Never Before Used Schtuff) pile and an optional challenge
of using bubble wrap or bubbles or some other unusual material.

I was intrigued by the bubble wrap backgrounds Darnell and other friends shared
and had to give it a try.  I have lots of the big bubble wrap but not much of the little stuff.
Most of the small bubble wrap came from the inside of padded envelopes and it's kind of squished.

But I decided to go with what I had.

I tried the big stuff and alcohol ink.

It looked like green eyeballs! Eek!

I dropped some more alcohol ink on a piece of the little bubble wrap
and put pressed the green eyeball piece on it.

It helped some but still not great.

So I though, what if I smoosh the  piece into the bubble wrap.

I laid the paper on the inked bubble wrap, pressed down good,
and twisted it smooshing the ink onto the glossy paper.

Now that was fun!
(This isn't that piece.)

So I smooshed some more pieces.

But I was loosing the circles. 

So I spritzed with some more blending solution and
pressed the piece into the bubble wrap again.

Had some circles.

That made me happy!

My NBUS is the Fern Die.  I die cut it 3 times and glued the pieces
 to give it some extra thickness so it wouldn't get lost against the background.

The top layer of the fern is a piece of retired Irrestistable Paper that was laying out.
It has shiny, white dots on it and goes well with that glossy paper.

I also shaped the leaves after the glue had dried.
(Well it was almost dry.)

Thanks for the visit and special thanks for your comments.

Enjoy!




Card Recipe
Stamps:  
Ink:   Adirondack Alcohol Ink (Sandal, Indigo, Gold Mixative)
Paper:   Glossy (It was a gift from a friend), Snippets of Neena 110 lb., Irresistibly Yours Paper (retired SU)
Other:  NBUS Pair of Ferns (Cheery Lynn Designs), Bubble Wrap, Blending Solution (Adirondack)


22 comments:

Marianne said...

Love your vibrant colours and the way the bubbles are fading out towards the edges. I have yet to try this. So fun to see Darnell's technique pop up all over blog land.

nancy littrell said...

Bonnie, I love how you retrieved your bubble wrap piece. Your card has such a fun, colorful artsy look!! I still need to post my card using the padded envelope bubble wrap, which is a more subtle look..I see some of yours peaking out of the edges. Isn't it fun trying new techniques. Darnell has really gotten all of us thinking out of the box :-) Hugs...

Barb said...

It sounds as if you had fun with your bubble wrap Bonnie!. You certainly ended up with a lovely card. It's a beautiful vibrant background that you came up with. Barbxx

Loll said...

LOVE the way you've used the bubble wrap on top of smooshing, Bonnie. Your background is so cool!! And looks fabulous with the die-cut fern. Darnell has inspired us to all try new techniques this time ... and it's been so much fun! xx

Jo said...

This background is beyond words, it is simple a piece of art.
Bubble wrap in your hands becomes a totally different look.
Loving the richness of the colours with that beautiful fern die to contrast!
Hugs

Susan said...

Love the vibrant blue blended with the bit of light a brown and gold! It makes a wonderful background for the simple leaf die. I have to get busy and try something with bubble wrap!

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Fab fern die on the cool bubbly background, Bonnie! Love the colors too!!

Christine Alexander said...

love the bright blues of the AI's and the bubble wrap as the background to the CAS die cut. The die cut looks great with the formed edges

TK said...

I am absolutely in AWE of this! Amazing colors, beautiful circles... beautiful with the die on top!

JosieD said...

Bonnie, I absolutely love the "evolution" of this card....how you kept at it til it worked using a new technique...and how striking it turned out. Plus how you used the Irresistably Yours SU paper as an interesting top layer for the fern (and the dsp on the tote). I have bought (too much!) of the SU specialty papers in the past because I fall in love with the unique designs and then don't use them. Time for that to change... inspired by your doings.

Julia Aston said...

Wonderful blue and brown colors on your bubble wrap print Bonnie! the white leaves look lovely popped up on top! Julia xx

jimlynn said...

Love all that gorgeous blue on this beautiful card.
Lynn

My Card Attic: Hazel said...

You created a lovely, bright, bold background with that technique Bonnie my friend! It makes a great backdrop for that crisp white die cut and I LOVE that you 'breathed' life into it by shaping it and adding dimension like that! Have a wonderful Sunday! Luv n’ Hugs. Hazel xx
My Card Attic

Nstiz said...

This had to be SO fun and your results are fantastic, Bonnie! I just love that you used a white silhouette against it. Your card turned out beautiful! Also love the idea of smooshing it!

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Love the bubble effect, beautiful colours.
Faith
x

Sandy said...

Sometimes it is just fun to play and your background looks pretty dog gone good to me!!
Sandy xx

Brenda said...

Wow, what a cool look you got Bonnie! I am so loving it. I got to see about trying this out, not sure I will make it in time for the challenge though but still need to give this a go. I love that beautiful background with that leaf die, so pretty! Hugs, Brenda

MaryH said...

You had loads of craft adventure with this one, and what an amazing look was the final result!Experimentation in your hands = creative masterpiece. I am unfamiliar with the Irrestible Paper (just as well it's retired!) but it sure made for a beautiful leafy fern. I LOVE this composition. You rocked it! Will have to try smooshing with the 2 sizes of bubble wrap! TFS & Big hugs

Barb Ghig said...

Oh my gosh, what a fun effect you created with bubble wrap! I love all the bright bold colors you chose for this card, too...Stunning work as always, Bonnie!

alexandra s.m. said...

Love the colors and the way the leaf just pops against the colored background!

kiwimeskreations said...

Great card Bonnie, and well done on persisting with what you had on hand to get the background - and I love that die cut over it.
Blessings
Maxine

Darnell said...

I just love how you got into the bubble wrap technique, Bonnie, trying this and that until you found something that you were happy with! I appreciate that and learned from it! Your card is utterly stunning!! Thank you for playing in #10 again!! Hugs, Darnell